Monday 18 January 2016

My Experiences

Today, I will write about my experiences in school. I was born here in Yogyakarta. My preschool was in Yogyakarta. My primary school was somewhere far away (I'll talk about that later) and here I am, back in Yogyakarta. Let's just say that my experiences were unique.

In my early years, I lived in Yogyakarta. My preschool was near my house, which meant I can go to school riding a bike. That was a very long time ago, and I can't remember much of what happened in my preschool. Right now, I only remember a few of my friends, a few activities done there and also what the preschool looked like. One thing is for sure, I had fun there. Then, my life changed.

I loved living in Yogyakarta. Everything is cheap, everything can be bought easily, and most importantly, everything is cheap. I didn't want to leave Yogyakarta, especially for a long time. Unfortunately, that is what I had to do. Little did I know, a life-changing, unforgettable adventure was ahead of me.

My family had to move to Africa, Western Africa to be more specific. My dad works in a mining company there and he decided that the whole family should move there. I was excited, but at the same time nervous. When we got there, we were given a house and there was an international school nearby for me and my brother to go too. That was where I spent most of my primary school years.

Now I'll talk about that school and my experiences in it. I was full of feelings and emotions. Never before have I met many different kinds of people . They were like aliens to me. Different people from different races and different countries, all in this one school. Of course, all their parents (including mine) worked for the same mining company. Inside me, I was like "Wow".

The teachers, who were also multicultural, were very friendly. No teachers were hated by any students. Everyone in school were also very friendly to me. I knew very little English back then, so sometimes I didn't know what to say to others. I thought that I wouldn't be very smart, but I later proved myself wrong.

The years passed, and eventually, my grades raised. I was in first grade, then I was in second, and before I knew it, I was in the grade above. There were so many fun activities to do. My English eventually became better. I found it much easier to speak to friends in English. Since I learned English ever since I was very little, English feels like my first language. Indonesian, despite being my actual first language, was only spoken within my family. When I learned grammar, reading and writing, I learned it in English. That is why my English is better than my Indonesian.

I was settling in Africa. It felt like my home. That is when I had to move to my actual home. My dad no longer works for that mining company, which meant my family had to go back to Indonesia. My older brother is finishing high school in an international school in Bali, so my parents thought it would be good if I learned in the same school. Even though I wasn't back in Yogyakarta yet, it still felt nice to return to Indonesia.

I only spent a year in that school. I was in sixth grade and my older brother was in twelfth grade. It felt weird to meet new friends and I found it hard to settle in. At least everyone was friendly. I was a quick learner and even though the assignments became harder, I still managed to keep up. I was beginning to settle there, and that was when I had to move.

This time, I was moving back to my hometown, Yogyakarta. Every school here had a curriculum where students graduate in the middle of the year. All of my previous schools had a curriculum where students graduate at the end of the year. I do not want to do any maths here, so let's just say that Yogyakarta is where I am going to study, starting from seventh grade.

Right now, as I type this, I am in SMP Budi Utama. I just moved in here, so I don't have much experiences here. One of my challenges is having to study in Indonesian, instead of English. Like before, everyone seems friendly. With the right preparations, I should be able to adapt to this school. Who knows what adventure lies ahead of me?

No comments:

Post a Comment